The 2024 FIA World Endurance Championship promises to be a thrilling spectacle, with thirty-seven entries from eight nations set to compete across two categories: Hypercar and LMGT3. As the racing world eagerly anticipates the new season, let’s delve into the key highlights and notable additions that make the upcoming championship one for the history books.
Click here to view the full entry list
- Ferrari’s Dominance: Ferrari is set to dominate the Hypercar class with the addition of a third Ferrari 499P Hypercar (No. 83 AF Corse entry). Notably, former Formula 1 star Robert Kubica is listed to drive this powerhouse, adding even more excitement to Ferrari’s presence in the top class.
- Toyota Gazoo Racing’s Defense: Reigning World Champions, Toyota Gazoo Racing, will defend their Hypercar title with a pair of Toyota GR010 Hybrids. The No. 7 car will see Nyck De Vries replacing Jose Maria Lopez, who is set to make the move to GT3 and compete with the Akkodis ASP team entry featuring the Lexus RC F GT3.
- Porsche’s Persistence: Porsche Penske Motorsport continues its WEC campaign with two Porsche 963 Hypercars. The only change in the driver lineup is Matt Campbell replacing Dane Cameron in the No. 5 Porsche 963. Three other Porsche 963 Hypercars feature on the list including a two-car effort from Hertz Team JOTA, plus one Proton Competition entered Porsche
- Alpine’s Transition: Alpine transfers its factory racing efforts from LMP2 to Hypercar for the 2024 season, unveiling the all-new A424. The lineup includes former GP driver Mick Schumacher and Ferdinand Habsburg, who makes the switch from LMP2 to compete in the WEC’s top category.
- Lamborghini’s Debut: One of the most highly-anticipated moments is the entry of Lamborghini into the WEC’s Hypercar class with the Lamborghini SC63, featuring Mirko Bortolotti as the confirmed driver.
- Isotta Fraschini’s Unique Entry: Isotta Fraschini introduces the Isotta Tipo 6-C entries, completing the Hypercar list with Alejandro Garcia and Jean-Karl Vernay named as two of the drivers.
- BMW M Team WRT: Joining the fray with two of its BMW M Hybrid V8 cars which have been competing in IMSA this season are Team WRT. Dries Vanthoor has been named to drive the No. 15 car, with Sheldon Van Der Linde named on the sister No. 20 entry.
- Cadillac Racing returns with a fan favorite: the Cadillac V-Series.R. The team have listed two drivers (Earl Bamber and Alex Lynn).
- Peugeot TotalEnergies submits two Peugeot 9X8 Hybrid Hypercars as French manufacturer embarks on third WEC season. Former Formula E World Champion Stoffel Vandoorne joins the squad as a full-time driver
- Diverse LMGT3 Grid: The LMGT3 class, replacing the former GTE Am category, will feature 18 entries in its inaugural season, showcasing a diverse grid of nine global brands.
- Valentino Rossi Joins Team WRT: Seven-time MotoGP World Champion Valentino Rossi joins Team WRT, entering the LMGT3 fray with the BMW M4 GT3. The No. 46 entry is set to witness Rossi’s prowess on the endurance racing scene.
- McLaren’s Debut: British powerhouse McLaren teams up with United Autosports for its LMGT3 debut, featuring a pair of McLaren 720S GT3 Evos.
- Akkodis ASP Team’s GT Specialists: Akkodis ASP Team, known for its GT expertise, enters the WEC with two Lexus RCF entries, featuring Jose Maria Lopez and Kelvin Van Der Linde as the drivers.
- Return of Familiar Faces: Several familiar teams make a return, including AF Corse (renamed Vista AF Corse for 2024), Heart of Racing Team, D’Station Racing, Proton Competition, and Manthey PureRXRacing/Manthey EMA, adding a touch of nostalgia to the LMGT3 grid.
The 2024 FIA World Endurance Championship is set to captivate motorsport enthusiasts worldwide with an eclectic mix of Hypercar and LMGT3 entries. As the countdown to the season begins, the anticipation for intense battles on the track and the emergence of new stars reaches a fever pitch. Motorsport aficionados, buckle up for a thrilling ride!
Please consider making a donation so we can keep bringing you our best content from the racetrack.